Taking minutes to prepare and ready after a mere thirty minutes of marinading in some chilli and anise laden vinegar, these sweetly spiced quick pickled cucumbers make for a great salad garnish. We serve them up with grilled fish and meat – and they are great with thai style fish cakes we cooked up a little while back. Also a great side for burgers, wraps and barbecues.
We discard the chilli and anise from the pickling broth but you could keep it in with the jar if you wanted to intensify the flavour.
- 1 large cucumber - peeled, deseeded and cut lengthways into long thick strips (about 1.5 cm wide)
- 50ml white vinegar
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 star anise pod
- Quarter teaspoon dried chilli
- Half tablespoon Fish Sauce
- pinch of salt
- Peel and chop the cucumber and place it in a sterilised glass container.
- Heat the vinegar, sugar, chilli and star anise in a small saucepan and when the sugar melts add the fish sauce and a pinch of salt.
- Pass the pickling liquid through a sieve to remove the chilli and anise pod. Discard the solids
- Pour the liquid over the cucumber and allow this to infuse for 30 minutes before serving.
A few more pickle recipes to try –
Pickled Fermented Carrots from Ceri.
Buffet Pickled vegetables from Kevin