Mediterranean Roasted Cod with Peppers, Artichokes and Capers.
Roast cod is a favourite in the Franglais house, yet it is a recent thing. We have come to appreciate that a coating of some sort helps retain moisture and keeps the cod from turning into a bitty, and dry piece of fish flesh. Instead, one is rewarded with a thin, flaky texture. The flavours within the topping permeate and enhance the scent and flavour of the cod.
Here we have used a meditarranean-inspired topping. Our favourites from the antipasti plate. Red and yellow peppers, roasted artichokes and large capers. A good dose of garlic, some olive oil and a little herbes de provence are the only other ingredients you need. If you have some (we did) you can add a little dill pollen for its anise scent. It works surprisingly well with les herbes.
Now peppers are full of water. So is cod. All this H2O will come out and make a mushy watery mess. Not attractive. So we added a little cooking off step to cook off some of the water in the pepper, which also concentrates their flavour. If you are short of time you could use strips of ready roasted peppers in olive oil though it is a slightly more costly option.
You can serve this dish with Pureed jerusalem artichoke and fava bean mash if you like. Or you can eat it like we did on our midweek night- with oven-baked ready-made potato croquettes that we have omitted from the photos in order to maintain an air of gorgeousness.
- 4 Cod fillets
- 1 Red Pepper finely chopped
- 1 Yellow pepper finely chopped
- 2 Roasted artichoke hearts chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped capers chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence (or mixed herbs)
- 11/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional - pinch of dill pollen
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 Deg C (160 Deg C fan oven).
- Place the cod fillets in a greased ovenproof dish.
- In a frying pan warm the olive oil and add the garlic, cooking until it softens.
- Now cook the pepper strips over a lowish heat until the peppers are really soft and have lost some volume (around 10 to 15 minutes).
- Then add the chopped artichokes and capers and season with herbs, salt, pepper.
- Spoon the cooked vegetables over the cod
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the a skewer inserted into the middle of the cod feels hot and the cod is cooked through.
I am adding this to the Herbs on Saturday linky over at Lavender and Lovage